confessions from a first time momma

May 18, 2012

{7 and 1/2 months preggo with 6 weeks to go}

5 things I'll do differently for my next pregnancy
1. Keep it simple. I was doing way to much for a pregnant lady. Working 20 hours a week, doing an internship, first semester of my Master's (and before that finishing an 18 credit course load semester of undergraduate). It was difficult to enjoy my pregnancy because I was so tired and overwhelmed most days. I think putting some of those things on hold (even though it wasn't "the plan") would have made my pregnancy more enjoyable and with less complications near the end. 
2. Exercise regularly. Funny how a retired college athlete who used to run 10+ miles a day couldn't keep a good exercise routine. In my defense when I finally was cleared and not feeling pain in my chest  post my chest/heart complication stuff - was exactly when I found out I was pregnant. I hadn't run or exercised seriously in over a year. It isn't easy to get in shape when you have morning sickness. Nor is it easy when that stage subsides and you are getting bigger every second. So my advice to you ladies is get in shape BEFORE you get pregnant. It will be much easier to maintain and feel good while your preggers! Being fit, I have heard, makes a huge difference in your strength levels when you are in labor. Also it will be much easier to get back into the swing of things after you give birth. 
3. Keep a journal/blog/notebook etc. I documented a small amount of my pregnancy here on this blog, but I wish I would have been a little better. There are things I am sure I will wish I remembered later on that are specific to my feelings and experience. Your first baby, and any baby for that matter, is such a special experience and each one is unique. It is a joy to look back on what I did write down. 
4. Have fun. This kind of goes along with my first point, but I hope for my next pregnancy I can enjoy life a little more. I was just so tired all the time that I didn't make much of an effort to do much outside the house. I think I went swimming once that entire summer. I was never outside because I just thought I would be uncomfortable. I missed out on a lot opportunities to make some memories because I felt confined to my house.
5. Be less "fashion forward" with baby gear. To be honest I was sad I couldn't afford my favorite stroller, my favorite car seat, my favorite baby toys, my favorite highchair, and the list goes on. Looking back those things are so insignificant. As long as you have working & clean gear that's all that matters. Babies don't care what stroller they are in or what organic onesies they have on. Do what you can and be reasonable with your money. They grow so quickly that you are having to buy new things all the time.

I hope these small suggestions are helpful! Check out Mary's (Twisted Lemon) here and Tracie's (Wedded Bliss and Baby) here

6 comments:

  1. I like your suggestion of keeping a notebook of the pregnancy. In the moment, you think things aren't that big of a deal... but later on, they become fun things to remember. I will store that idea. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes seriously you will want to look back on those seemingly insignificant things at the time!

      Delete
  2. I love this post. Mainly because I can relate to most of it! I went to school while I was pregnant too- blah! I graduated when I was 6 months pregnant and could not have been more relieved- I can't even imagine how hard a masters would be! I would throw up all the time in the JFSB during classes, or in my car on the way to work. Besides that though, I felt so overwhelmed and anxious since I had no idea what to expect and I made SUCH a big deal about such trivial things. I think the difference is that next time I will know what to expect, and it won't be as overwhelming. Maybe one day I'll have a laid-back pregnancy?! Fingers crossed. Thanks for this! Love your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness school is so hard when prego! I had to have a trash can right next to my chair every class. HA, so embarrassing. I totally hope my next pregnancy goes a little smoother I seriously feel like 100 more confident knowing what I do now!

      Delete
  3. I love these posts!! You have such great advise that I will have to tuck away for a future day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimberly!! :) I am glad they can be of some help! Seriously there is so much to do when pregnant, so its really helpful to learn as much as you can before hand!

      Delete