CONFESSIONS FROM A FIRST TIME MOMMA

January 11, 2013


That sweet face & piggy towel are enough to put a smile on my face any day, any time, even at 4 in the morning when this was taken.

This last month has been pretty crazy for our little family. We are still in the process of figuring out what's going on with Sydney's little tummy, but let's just say things haven't been staying in her tummy. 

The day/night before we left for Ohio for Christmas vacation, Sydney was projectile vomiting all over our house & Michael. Do you know what that is? It is like a fountain coming out of your child's mouth. It's actually pretty incredible to watch, although disgusting. But holy cow, it's crazy. Anyway I was so worried about getting on a plane the next day, actually 2 planes, but, we didn't have any money to spare, there was a snow storm traveling across the US, and there were no flights to get us there until Christmas, even if we could change them. So we did all we could to keep her tummy settled and took off to the airport in the morning. We made it through both of our flights PERFECTLY. She was an angel (kind of). When we landed in Ohio, I texted my mom those exact words. "We made it with no problems! Hallelujah, Sydney was an angel!" No less than 30 seconds later Sydney throws up all over Michael and our row of seats. I desperately tried to grab a barf bag, but projectile vomit is not easy to catch. It goes where it pleases. So, while everyone is patiently waiting to get off the plane, they witness this horrible event. I was trying to keep composed. So I carefully removed her clothes, dressed her in new ones in under a minute (thank you). I then proceded to clean off Michael as best I could. His face was covered and it was in his eyes. Poor guy took one for the team. I am sure if he had faced her another way, passengers would have been pleasantly surprised. Anyway, we eventually got off the plane, smelling absolutely terrible and we thought that would be the end of it. Well, all through Christmas break we were cleaning up throw up and diaper explosions. The poor girl has been so sick. 

This week has been no different. We have been trying everything to help our sweet baby, but nothing has seemed to work yet. We have removed all normal foods and milk from her diet so we can kind of rejuvenate her stomach and start fresh. I think I have a total of ten hours of sleep the last 4 days. Not to mention I have been sick too. Anyway the point of this post is not to complain, but really just provide you other mom's some relief that yes, these kind of things happen to everyone! I was feeling so depressed this week with being sick, having a sick baby, and not having Michael around for more than hour a day with his work/school schedule. Then I realized I am not alone in my difficulties. There are so many moms who experience this burden of caring for children on their own every day. I don't know how they do it, but oh my goodness they are my heros. It is hard work. Fulfilling, but very difficult at times. Anyway, I LOVE being a mommy. It is the most incredible journey I have ever been on. But just like everything else, it has it's ups and downs. The one thing I have learned is the value of friendship and support. I am so thankful for other moms who give me advice (when I ask for it ;) and for friends & family who patiently listen while I vent once in a while. I am also thankful God is watching over me and blessing me with patience when I need it. Those are my confessions for the day. Hope you all have an incredible weekend! xo

4 comments:

  1. Have you been to the doctors yet? I sure hope you all start to feel better soon! Sending love and healthy thoughts your way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes we've been to the doctors :) they just aren't sure what it is because it could be so many different factors! Hopefully we figure it out soon. Thank you for your sweet words! xo

      Delete
  2. I love these posts - they are so real! Hang in there!! :)

    ReplyDelete